Annons:
Tag:ย apartment-gardening
Read 3911 times
Evelina
2017-07-06 14:00

Apartment Jungle on a Budget

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

How to Begin Growing your own Apartment Jungle without Spending a Fortune:

Starting a collection of plants can be an expensive hobby, but it doesn't have to be. Here are some tips I have picked up along my journey of collecting various plants and seeds over the last few years. 

Buy, exchange, and/or sell plants, seeds, and cuttings. 

• Learn how to propagate your house plants. That way you have multiple plants of the same kind instead of just one. 

• Participate in online and local communities that offer seed and plant cutting exchanges. Local communities often hold plant and seed exchange events in the spring time. It's a great way to grow your collection without having to involve money. 

• Buy and sell plant cuttings on online auction websites, such as Ebay and Tradera. 

Buy secondhand gardening tools, stands, pots, and containers. Get creative! You don't have to only use things that are made for gardening.

• Get creative! I love terracotta pots. However, the bottom trays are often sold separately and are more expensive than the pot itself. Instead, I buy plates and bowls from thrift stores to use under pots with holes. For plant stands, I buy secondhand stools, and plant stands. I've used tea cups purchased from thrift stores to put mini cactus and succulents in. 

Repurpose your trash

• Reuse plastic. I find myself throwing away a lot of plastic containers as a result of buying food from the grocery store. Instead of throwing those containers away, I started collecting them to use for various gardening purposes. Here is a post discussing container ideas on a budget. I like using yogurt containers, juice/milk cartons (vegetable gardening), egg cartons (germination), and plastic bottles (cut in half to cover seeds during germination). 

• Look for free items. Buckets, old cooking pots, and wooden pallets can easily be found for free in your local community. Look online for free ads. My apartment complex has a free stuff area near the garbage room that people leave out for anyone to take.  I just recently found a mini wooden pallet that I am now using as a shelf for my tomato plants on my balcony. 

• Grow plants from food scraps, such as celery, carrots, ginger, pineapple, avocado, fruits with seeds, sweet potato, green onion, onion, and garlic.

Start composting to use your household organic waste as fertilisation instead of buying it. 

Photo credit: Judah Guttmann on Unsplash

Annons:
Niklas
2017-07-06 14:45

Good article! Do you know which plants gives most jungle for the money? I mean those that grow quickly and easily and gives a lot of green to a room.

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Evelina
2017-07-06 18:08

I'll get back to you with an answer in the form of an article tomorrow! Personally, I think a Monstera Deliciosa is a great starter as a 'jungle' plant. The plant is known for its huge green Swiss cheese leaves. It is the second hanging plant on the right in the photo.

Niklas
2017-07-06 21:44

Ah, I recognized it in the photo. :-)

Niklas
2017-07-12 10:58

Great! :-)

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย