Maranta Leuconeura (Prayer Plant)
The Maranta genus includes dozens of low growing plants that are native to the tropical areas of Brazil. Maranta leuconeura, commonly known as the Prayer plant, or even sold as Maranta Tricolor, is known for its colourful and decorative leaves.
- Provide warmth and humidity.
- Provide indirect sunlight. The leaves will turn brown if they are getting too much sun or not enough humidity.
- Water frequently and don't allow the soil to dry out. Try to water the soil directly and not the leaves. Keep moist but not soggy.
- Rich soil that can drain easily.
- Fertilise weekly during growing season.
- To propagate, you can divide the plant into two during repotting.
- These plants are susceptible to pests and disease such as mites and fungal, especially with poor growing conditions (cool and dry). Treat regularly for pests.