Read 3561 times
Vacation Tips for Apartment Gardening
I always get anxious when I think about going on vacation because I don't want to come back to a home full of unhappy plants. Instead of relying on my flatmate or boyfriend to take care of my plants, I've found a few ways to keep my plants happy even when I'm not there to take care of them.
Tips for Taking Care of your Apartment Garden while on Vacation:
- Water plants before you leave.
- Turn on humidifier on low or set out several bowls or glasses of water around your apartment.
- If you have seedlings, put them in a small greenhouse, cover with plastic wrap, or plastic bottles cut in half to retain moisture.
- Make sure the plants are put in places with indirect sun, that way the plants don't dry out quickly.
- If you are gone for several days, set up a self watering system. Get a jug of water, twine and tape. Tape the twine with one end in the jug of water and the other end in the soil of each plant. Do this a few days prior in order to make sure the twine is bringing moisture into the soil.
- Buy self watering glass bulbs, like these from Lagerhaus and Amazon.
Let me know if you have any tips!
Photo credit: Brina Blum on Unsplash
Host of Apartment Gardening | Ashtanga Yoga | Literature | Migraine