Annons:
Tag:ย apartment-gardening
Read 2355 times
Niklas
2017-05-27 11:15

Seeds you can find in your garbage bin

I read in another thread that you can grow avocado from cores that you would otherwise throw away. Apple seeds can also grow if you put them in soil.

What else can be grown from from things we usually throw away or otherwise would not think of as garden material?

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Annons:
Evelina
2017-05-27 12:34

There are a bunch of things that you can regrow or Germinate (grow from seed)! 

For example, I have regrown celery, leeks, green onion, sweet potato, garlic and ginger. 

For celery, leeks and green onion:

You can cut an inch from the bottom and then set the bottom parts in water, near a sunny window until roots start to grow. After the roots have established themselves then you can plant them in dirt,

For sweet potato that has started to bud: 

Just cut it in half, put tooth picks in the sides and then put the bottom cut part in water. Set near a sunny water until the vines start to grow (the vines are edible). Plant in a large container about 15 gallons. It takes about a year for sweet potatoes to grow. 

For garlic that has started to sprout:

Just plant separate cloves in a container with soil. After a week or two the garlic plant will start to emerge. You can eat the green part like chives (they taste like garlic). I haven't actually regrown garlic cloves yet but its the same method but you only put one garlic clove in a container as opposed to many. 

Fresh Ginger:

Cut the ginger eye bud. Soak in water overnight. Place the ginger root  with the eye bud pointing up and cover it with 1-2 inches more of soil in a container. Water lightly. It take a month or two to sprout. 

I can do How to's for these ๐Ÿ™‚

I have not germinated apple seeds before but I'm sure it is the same for all fruit seeds. The best thing to do is put them on a wet paper towel and place that into a plastic bag. Set near a window. After a few weeks check to see if the seeds have sprouted. Plant in soil in a container. Water.

Niklas
2017-05-27 16:44

Great! Does the ginger grow real ginger root that you can eat? If it does it sounds very exotic. :-)

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Evelina
2017-05-27 17:09

Yeah it does! Im in the process of growing some now for the first time. Ill update with an article soon Smile The plant is nice looking as well, so even if you just to grow it for looks, you can.

Emo
2017-06-01 13:51

I use to plant a lot of seeds near my greenhouse. That way I have got some nice fruit trees and nut trees.
They are all to big to have indoors and my avocadoplants always grow to much, so I have get rid of them.

I suppose you can have a peach tree on a balcony and maybe some other fruit trees too if you keep them small.

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Evelina
2017-06-01 17:12

Drawf citrus trees are great for the balcony too, I have two lemon trees out there now. Just purchased some Kaffir lime seeds which ill start growing as soon as I get them in the mail.  Smile

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย