Annons:
Tagbeginner-tips
Read 3757 times
vendelay
2017-09-03 22:59

What plant to begin with?

Hi!

I really like plants but I just can't keep them alive. Since I moved out from home a couple of years ago I've almost only had fake plants but now I'm feeling ready to change that (not sure how the plants are feeling about this decision…) What should I start with?

It should be easy to keep alive but we have cats so I don't want something like a cactus or something poisonous because they will probably taste it. I really like the idea of have own veggies, like a tomato plant, is there any easy veggies / fruits / herbs / whatever I could start off with? We have a balcony but not a lot of sun.

All ideas are welcome Thumbs up

Annons:
Niklas
2017-09-05 07:45

I recently thought about what easy to grow plants to have at home. Then I stumbled upon a video about growing air. Areca palm, Mother-in-law's tongue and Money plant can do that in such volumes that it can improve health.

How to grow fresh air

It's not really what you asked for but I thought you might be intrigued by it anyway. :-)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-05 23:04

That's really interesting, thank you! They all seem to need pretty much attention though, like waping the leaves every day? Quiet I'm too lazy for that Sad

Niklas
2017-09-06 08:09

Every day was if you live in Delhi with all their pollution, but I understand what you mean. :-)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-06 19:10

Oh, haha! I didn't watch the whole thing Innocent I think I'm gonna try with stuff I have at home anyways. I saw some video about tomatoes and other veggies and fruits and it looked so simple.

Evelina
2018-01-10 10:29

Hey, did you end up starting to grow anything? Maybe, I can Help you out a bit! 

I find that the easiest house plants to grow are Pathos and Coleus (Palettblad på svenska).

Pathos are poisonous, however, my cats are uninterested in them. That doesn't mean that yours won't be though. They are trailing plants, so you can hand them in a window or set on top of a bookshelf to protect your cats.

Palettblad are so easy to grow, there is a number of varieties of colors, you can easily grow them from seeds, and they grow super fast! 

Herbs- parsley, sage, and cilantro are the easiest to grow indoors. Basil grows slowly and is a bit difficult to grow from seed. All herbs require a lot of light or sun and frequent watering- nearly everyday. 

Veggies- tomatoes need a lot of sun, so as you don't have a sunny balcony I'm not confident you will get a lot of tomatoes. 

Here is an article about growing veggies that do not require full sun. I recommend peas! They are fun to grow. 

https://www.thespruce.com/growing-vegetables-without-full-sun-2540014

Fruits- Strawberries! and other berries. Here is another article. 

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/growing-food-where-the-sun-dont-shine

Good luck!

Niklas
2018-01-10 10:34

Basil plants can be found in many grocery stores and are easy to maintain. Great to put on home made pizzas.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: