Annons:
Tagapartment-gardening
Read 2734 times
Evelina
2018-08-14 09:38

Minute Pirate Bugs (Orius Insidiosus) for Thrips

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I bought 100 minute pirate bugs and let them out in my apartment! What is great, is that they are a generalist predatory insect. They are monsters when it comes to controlling thrips (a really nasty bug that will destroy your plants). They also eat other insects, such as spider mites, which is something that I am constantly trying to control. 

I have bought 1000 Mesostigmata (rovkvalster på svenska), twice before, which are predators to spider mites. I do think it helped control them, but since the weather has been so warm, I believe that I have been having to deal with thrips as well. I didn't take a picture of the bugs because well they kinda creep me out! Haha I have to ask my boyfriend to put them on the plants for me every time. Laughing out loud I rarely see them once they are put onto the plants. I actually don't know if they fly out of the apartment or if they are just good at hiding. 

Is there anyone out there that wants me to write an article about the predatory insects one can buy in order to control common insects that feed on your house plants?

Annons:
Niklas
2018-08-14 13:10

Exciting! Don't they have any adverse side effects?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-08-14 15:15

These predatory insects are harmless to the plants, humans and animals. Although, I did read that this particular one has been known to bite, but only when they are confused and probably frightened.

Tammie
2018-08-14 15:50

That is awesome. Years ago I purchased a bunch of Lady Bugs to combat aphids.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Leia
2018-08-14 21:16

The idea of releasing 100's of bugs into my apartment would freak me out!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Evelina
2018-08-14 21:49

#4 They are so small! You really dont even notice them. ☺️

Leia
2018-08-14 21:51

#5 do they breed or eventually die out?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Evelina