Annons:
Tag:Β apartment-gardening
Read 2121 times
Niklas
2019-06-10 14:18

Best childrens starter plant? Carnivores

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

If you want to interest your kids in plants and gardening, how about starting with a meat eater? πŸ¦– πŸ™‚ Many gardening stores sell plants that eat meat, or at least protein from insects. They belong to a Family called Droseraceae in Latin. They come in around 100 varieties and live all over the world. Some of them catch their prey with sticky liquids at the ends of hair-like tentacles and others are shaped like baseball mitts that close in a split second when an insect touch almost microscopic feelers on the insides of their spiky leaves. After a week or so the plants have sucked all protein out of the insect. Then it opens up again ready to start over. Do you have any animal eating plants? The plant in the photos is a Venus Fly Trap, Dionaea Muscipula.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Leia
2019-06-10 14:35

I don't have any animal eating plants but some great non-meat eating alteratives are watercress seeds and bean sprouts!

Ideally you would use a see through containter, they grow really fast! The bean sprout is great to observe how bean tears and the spuds emerge and the watercress is a great way to encourage kids to eat greens.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Evelina
2019-06-11 18:36

Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to keep these alive πŸ˜…πŸ˜­. I agree I think seedlings that grow fast are also very interesting for kids 😊 they can feel a sense of responsibility for caring for something and watching it grow

Niklas
2019-06-12 10:12

So far we have managed to keep it alive. It’s in a mostly shadowy window and we try to keep the soil moist all the time since they live in wetlands in the wild.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons:
Β